Go Well Travel Plan
In 2015 Hawke’s Bay District Health Board (HBDHB) adopted a travel plan called Go Well.
A travel plan is a package of activities designed by the DHB to encourage safe, healthy and sustainable travel options to its locations.
What's it all about?
Members of our community were asked about travel preferences and travel improvements that they would like to see happening at Hawke’s Bay Hospital. Survey information was collated and feedback incorporated into the development of Go Well, which has helped to guide the future of travel for us.
Your feedback was important in developing Go Well, which will guide the future of travel for us.
What we found out:
Patients and staff had little choice except to drive to health services.
- were interested in coming to work differently.
- expressed an interest in public transport, carpooling/ride-sharing and cycling.
- were interested in public transport and carpooling/ride-sharing.
What changes we made?
Our Go Well travel team has been working hard to implement the scheme, as well as alternative travel options for our staff and outpatients/visitors. Achievements include:
- The Hawke’s Bay Regional Council in partnership with GoBay bus has brought back The Napier to Hastings express bus, which includes stops at the hospital.
- Bus timetables have also been adapted to coincide with shift changes based on staff feedback.
- From 1 January 2017, HBDHB announced it was offering free bus transport for outpatients and their caregiver/support person to and from scheduled appointments at Hawke’s Bay Hospital and Napier Health. This initiative is off to an amazing start, with 345 outpatients taking advantage of the free service in the first month alone - a positive step toward helping ease demand on car parking.
- Bike parking for visitors are available at several locations.
- A new secured bike shed is under construction for staff, which will more than double the secured bike parking on site once it is complete.
- A new staff carpooling initiative, which allows carpoolers to park in dedicated spaces for free, is proving popular with over 60 staff members registered prior to 1 March 2017.
- Biking and walking maps have been developed to show staff and patients how long it will take to bike or walk to various locations around the hospital. Our Go Well team recently provided feedback for long-term active transport planning with the Hastings District Council to help staff get to and from work safely.