Your family doctor, or General Practice, provide a range of services including medical advice, examinations, prescriptions and ongoing care for more longstanding or chronic conditions. They also provide:
- Diagnosis of symptoms
- Health education
- Simple surgical procedures
If you have a toothache or need to see a dentist outside of normal working hours you can call the on-call dentist for help 021 182 3108.
If you are experiencing mental health difficulties, it is important to talk to your family doctor about your thoughts and feelings. They will assess your needs and together you will be able to determine the best course of action.
Mental health emergency
If your mental or emotional state quickly gets worse this can be a mental health emergency or mental health crisis.
In this situation it’s important to get help quickly. If you have been or are being treated for a mental illness, you should have a care plan. Your care plan has names and numbers to call in an emergency or you can call 0800 112 334 for the Emergency Mental Health.
If you don’t have a care plan, and the emergency is at night or out of hours you should either call 0800 112 334 for Emergency Mental Health or 111 for an ambulance, or go to the Emergency Department at Hawke’s Bay Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Hospital.
During normal working hours you could also make an emergency appointment with your family doctor.
What to do if you are caring for someone in a mental health emergency
- If you’re caring for someone and are concerned for their safety, you should call 0800 112 334 for Emergency Mental Health or 111 for an ambulance.
- If you or someone you know needs help, and you would like to speak to someone by telephone, you can also call:
- Directions Youth Health Centre 06 871 5307
- Depression 0800 111 757 (24hours) www.depression.org.nz
- Lifeline 0800 543 354 24 hours
- Suicide prevention in Tautoko 0508 828 865
- Samaritans 0800 726 666
- What’s Up 0800 942 8787 (1-11pm)
- Youthline 0800 376 633 (11-11 7 days)
- Or visit www.commonground.org.nz www.thelowdown.co.nz www.sparx.org.nz