Preparing for breastfeeding
Breastfeeding provides the best start for your baby and is healthy for you too.
How can you prepare for breastfeeding?
- Most women will be able to breastfeed without special preparation. It is important however that you let your partner and family know that you will be breastfeeding so they can support you.
- Talk to your Lead Maternity Carer (LMC) if you have any specific concerns or questions.
- There is a free antenatal breastfeeding class every month in Hastings which teaches practical breastfeeding techniques.
Who can help me with breastfeeding?
For many women breastfeeding is easy, but as with anything it becomes easier with practice. Your LMC is there to help you get started and if you stay in hospital there are nurses and midwives who can help.
What help is there when I go home?
Your LMC is there for you until six weeks after your baby is born and then your Well Child provider takes over.
More help for you in the community
- Baby Café service on Monday and Friday 1pm until 3pm at Little Elms, 310 Orchard Road, Hastings where a Lactation Consultant is available at all sessions. Please park at the rear of the complex, Baby café is held in the front house. Tea and coffee available. Play area available for younger children. Drop in clinic, gold coin donation if possible please.
- In Central Hawke’s Bay CHB Parents Centre offers the community a free and professional service with a Lactation Consultant. Please contact Ann on 06 857 3844 or text only 027 279 6204 between 9am and 6pm. La Leche League offer trained breastfeeding peer counsellors, services are free for breastfeeding mothers - contact Sally on 021 923 125 or Plunket on 06 848 7454.
- In Napier a Baby Café service is held at the Midwifery Centre, Kennedy Road, Napier every Wednesday as a drop-in facility for Mums between 1 and 3pm There will always be a Lactation Consultant available to offer help and advice.
- In Wairoa Kahungunu Executive Māori health provider has three La Leche breastfeeding support staff and a Tamariki Ora nurse. Contact 06 838 6835
- La Leche League Hawke's Bay provide breastfeeding support view their website information or connect on Facebook
- Plunket Hawke's Bay