Assessing your needs

As you age it’s possible that you will become less able to live independently and require some form of support. If you are not coping well you should visit your doctor to discuss any concerns. This often helps as your doctor knows a lot about your general health and can assist with referral for an assessment.

Options Hawke's Bay is the local organisation which provides needs assessment and service coordination (NASC) services for people with disabilities. Options Hawke's Bay assists people with a disability, and their family/whānau, to maintain independence in their home and community, or a residential setting.

A needs assessment helps to determine a person's abilities, resources, goals and needs, in order of priority. During service coordination we look at a range of options to meet your identified needs and goals. This may include a mix of privately and publicly funded services, as well as help from family and friends.

To be eligible for an assessment to access public funding you must have a disability as defined by the Ministry of Health:

“A person with a disability is a person who has been identified as having a physical, intellectual, sensory or age-related disability (or a combination of these) which is likely to continue for a minimum of six months and results in a reduction of independent function to the extent that ongoing support is required.”

You will not be eligible for funded disability support if:

  • You have a short-term illness
  • Require support for less than six months
  • Are funded under ACC
  • Have needs solely as a result of a mental health condition - these assessments are usually made through mental health assessment services or community mental health teams
  • Are not a New Zealand resident