Services for older people

A wide range of organisations provide services for older people to either live independently at home or in residential care facilites.

Assessing your needs - NASC HB

As you age it’s possible that you will become less able to live independently and require some form of support. If you are not coping well you should visit your doctor to discuss any concerns. This often helps as your doctor knows a lot about your general health and can assist with referral for an assessment.

Options Hawke's Bay is the local organisation which provides needs assessment and service coordination (NASC) services for people with disabilities. Options Hawke's Bay assists people with a disability, and their family/whānau, to maintain independence in their home and community, or a residential setting.

A needs assessment helps to determine a person's abilities, resources, goals and needs, in order of priority. During service coordination we look at a range of options to meet your identified needs and goals. This may include a mix of privately and publicly funded services, as well as help from family and friends.

To be eligible for an assessment to access public funding you must have a disability as defined by the Ministry of Health:

“A person with a disability is a person who has been identified as having a physical, intellectual, sensory or age-related disability (or a combination of these) which is likely to continue for a minimum of six months and results in a reduction of independent function to the extent that ongoing support is required.”

You will not be eligible for funded disability support if:

  • You have a short-term illness
  • Require support for less than six months
  • Are funded under ACC
  • Have needs solely as a result of a mental health condition - these assessments are usually made through mental health assessment services or community mental health teams
  • Are not a New Zealand resident

Click here to find out more about the HBDHB Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC) Service.


Eldernet offers a comprehensive national directory of services for older people, including home support, housing options, care, and products. 


Locally Enliven Restorative Home Support offers support for older people in Hawke's Bay including:

  • Community Day Programmes
  • Community Strength and Balance Service 

Day programmes are also available in Gisborne and Central Hawke's Bay.

Power of Attorney

Everyone should have Enduring Power of Attorney.  An enduring power of attorney is a document where you appoint who you would like to make decisions on your behalf when you are no longer able to.

People think their family will take over if they are no longer able to manage their own affairs or that their Will would come into effect. Unfortunately this isn't true.

That's why we recommend you appoint someone as your enduring power of attorney (EPOA), so that you have peace of mind knowing a person you trust will be making important decisions for you when you're not able to.

The key thing with the law is the person who accepts the role as an enduring power of attorney has to show that they have taken an interest in that person in actively ensuring their welfare is taken care of.

Detailed information about how Enduring Power of Attorney can keep you protected can be found at the Office for Senior Citizens web pageAge Concern and Public Trust also have information regarding Enduring Power of Attorney.